[pulseaudio-discuss] Questions regarding messaging API

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Thu Jan 31 20:00:57 UTC 2019

On 31.01.19 19:33, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-01-28 at 18:43 +0100, Georg Chini wrote:

>>> OK, I was worrying because unlike pa_tagstruct_gets() the
>>> function parameter is currently char ** and not const char **
>>> But after taking a second look, I see that I can make it const
>>> now, so problem solved. Are you OK with leaving read_raw()
>>> without default? Here the parameter must remain char**
>>> because the returned string may be a list that can be
>>> processed again by the parsing functions (and in my opinion
>>> a default in this case does not make sense anyway).
> By "leaving without default", do you mean that you want to assign to
> the result variable early, when the function might still fail? I don't
> see why you'd want to do that, except maybe for avoiding one local
> variable.
>
> It's just a general pattern to not touch return variables on failure.
> It probably won't cause any trouble in this case if you go against that
> pattern, because the caller is unlikely to assign a default value that
> would get used in case the function fails, but I really don't see any
> good reason to deliberately go against the generally-useful pattern.
> Whether the string is const or not doesn't matter here at all, as far
> as I can see.

I want to return NULL in case that the function fails.

First, the function read_raw() differs from all other read
functions in so far that the result of the function is expected
to be a string that must be further processed with the other
read functions. So a default does not make any sense and
returning NULL when nothing is read seems sensible.

Second I still think it matters that the function argument is
char and not const char. For the caller, it means that it has
to provide a char that needs not be freed if a default is
wanted. This is ugly and very likely to cause memory leaks.

I do not think we need to implement something just to
follow a pattern if it is no use at all and even likely to cause
errors, but if you insist, I will change it in the next version.

>> And one more point I stumbled over: When reading numeric
>> arrays, how should an empty element ({}) be treated? Should
>> it be an error or treated as 0? My current approach is to read
>> it as 0.
> I think it should be an error. When reading single numeric values, we
> distinguish between 0 and null, and I don't think we should change the
> rules when reading numeric values in arrays.

OK, will change it in the next version.

Meanwhile I created a merge request for the patch set. Please
take a look at it. Patches 2 - 5 are (apart from one single wording
change you requested) unchanged, so I guess they do not need a
thorough review again.