[pulseaudio-discuss] S3 suspend/resume issues with playback (was: Re: plan/timeline for a release)

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at linux.intel.com
Wed Jul 3 15:02:58 UTC 2019

Hi all,

a quick follow-up to my earlier post. I now rootcaused what exactly
happens and wanted to share the results.

On Fri, 31 May 2019, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> I've been testing pulse with the new Intel SOF [1] audio drivers (that are
> going to 5.2 kernel).
>
> In my tests, e.g. system suspend/stress tests work much better on latest
> master of pulseaudio, compared to test with latest released Pulseaudio.

This turned out to be a bug in how PA handled the first iteration after
ALSA SUSPEND state. See the description in (and link to a PA12.2 patch to
fix):
https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/1000#issuecomment-508128140
https://github.com/kv2019i/pulseaudio/commit/0b3c52341d1d8d098f315302d6d3e1c40965493f

The affected code was reworked by Georg Chini's patch "alsa: Improve
resume logic after alsa suspend" in PA master in March this year, so issue
is already fixed. With 13.x release looming (and apparently bunch of other
issues with S3 handling if streams are active), probably better for people
to update to PA13 rather than take my point-fix to PA12.2.

Br, Kai