[pulseaudio-discuss] plan/timeline for a release

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Jun 4 17:42:36 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-05-31 at 16:59 +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been testing pulse with the new Intel SOF [1] audio drivers (that are
> going to 5.2 kernel).
>
> In my tests, e.g. system suspend/stress tests work much better on latest
> master of pulseaudio, compared to test with latest released Pulseaudio.
>
> At least this patch in PA master has a big improvement:
> "alsa: Improve resume logic after alsa suspend"
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/f7b3537bbf9a6916ee3fd72a82025519b4c346f5
>
> With that introduction, any plans for an official Pulseaudio release this
> year? It seems there are many patches in master (like the above) and time
> has passed since 12.2.
>
> [1] https://thesofproject.github.io/

There are no concrete plans at the moment, but we certainly should make
a release this year (preferably two). According to the usual process we
should have started preparing the release last October, but somehow
that didn't happen... The reason I didn't push for a release last fall
was that there's a certain feature that I secretly wanted to get in
first, and that's still not done. There hasn't been much pressure from
other people either.

I think we could freeze master now. I don't want to block the release
waiting for any features, such as the A2DP codec stuff. Arun, Georg,
what are your thoughts?

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk