[pulseaudio-discuss] plan/timeline for a release

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jun 8 06:39:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-06-06 at 18:39 +0200, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, at 7:29 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:

> > > I'd like to have the messaging patches in the upcoming release.
> > > It should not be too much work to review them and I think I fixed
> > > all issues you found during your last review (except one that you
> > > can probably fix easily when pushing the patches).

The same argument could probably be made for quite a few pending
patches and other things (individually not that much work, but there
are many of them). Getting the message API in the next release doesn't
seem super important to me, if there's nothing using it.

If we delay the freeze by a couple of weeks as Arun suggested, I may
end up reviewing the patches before the freeze anyway, though, because
I need them in the loopback manager hobby project.

> > > Otherwise I would be fine with freezing master and preparing
> > > a new release. Do we have any blocker bugs?

I need to check my notes, but for now the only bug that I'm aware of
that I think should be a blocker is this:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/issues/667

The blockers are tracked here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/issues/174

> > I would like to see reviewed and merged first 5 patches in my bluetooth
> > series. Those are just fixes of current code, not new A2DP codecs.
>
> I hoping we could get some of those codec changes in before the
> release and held of suggesting a freeze earlier, but it since slipped
> my mind and I think we should in fact make a release soon.
>
> I suggest we timebox this -- what we are able to confidently review
> and get in over the next 2 weeks makes to go into master before the
> freeze, the rest we can push to next as it's ready, for 14.0 and
> ideally we'll go back to your shorter release cycle for it so it's
> not a very long wait.

I'm fine with delaying the freeze by two weeks. Freeze on 2019-06-20
then (that's two weeks after your message)?

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk