[pulseaudio-discuss] no sound after rebooting

Adrian Mariano radian at cox.net
Thu Jun 20 12:40:36 UTC 2019

Starting in Ubuntu 18.10, and continuing in 19.04, after I reboot my
computer I have no sound.  My sound device doesn't show up at all in
the mixer.  I just have a "dummy" device (that's what just happened)
or sometimes I get the wrong device (NVidia) showing up but the right
device (onboard Intel) missing.

Running "sudo alsa force-reload" fixes this issue, until the next reboot.

I filed this as a bug with Ubuntu

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1828136

and somebody had me do various troubleshooting, but when he told me to
modify pulse-client.conf so that a log file would be created, I did
not get a log file.  At this point, he told me I should post here for
help with this issue.