[pulseaudio-discuss] new module module-plugin-sink

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Fri May 3 00:22:05 UTC 2019

чт, 2 мая 2019 г. в 23:45, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk>:

> Hi,
>
> I created a new module-plugin-sink and a small amplifier demo plugin
> based on the attached header file. I did not (yet) drop max_latency,
> disable_rewind and rewind_filter() because I am still waiting for more
> feedback on the specification. I made it however more clear (using
> Alexander's wording) that this should only be used if "real" rewinding
> is possible.

Thanks for that.

However, the interface still thinks in terms of "number of channels",
which is, in the general case, wrong. E.g., a "proper"
module-virtual-surround-sink (not what we currently have) would sound
differently if given the same samples in "5.1" and "5.1 (Side)"
channel layouts.

I wouldn't mind the number of channels, if we limit the interface to
"true" filters that have the same number of input and output channels
and don't care about the channel map. I.e., explicitly declare the
virtual surround sink as out-of-scope. But then, what useful things
are left in scope except the equalizer and maybe a dynamic range
compressor?

Also, please make sure that, in the callbacks, the filter handle
always comes as the first parameter.

Regarding the virtual surround plugin, I actually have one more
business argument why, if implemented properly (and not how it is done
currently) it should be out of scope. The reason is that this plugin
with publicly available HRIRs only applies to headphones. From a
usability perspective, it should be switched off (or to a different
filter, specifically crafted for each set of speakers and the
listening room) when the audio is playing to something else than
headphones. The proposed interface does not have (and likely should
not have, because we want to keep it simple and stable) any place to
express such policy.

In other words, I am still very skeptical about the proposal, simply
because we don't have enough filters to test the validity of the
proposed interface.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov