[pulseaudio-discuss] new module module-plugin-sink

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Fri May 3 14:32:55 UTC 2019

пт, 3 мая 2019 г. в 11:57, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk>:
> The channel layout of input/output
> and the playback device is known to module-plugin-sink, so if
> a filter needs it, it can be passed as parameter. No need to
> have it in the interface.

(I have also received your next email, ACK on the thought that the
channel maps don't change on the fly).

Having it (also with other properties like sink or port name) as a
parameter is indeed a neat idea that solves a lot of problems.
However, we should still think about the boolean bypass parameter, how
it is supposed to work. Is my understanding below correct?

1. The virtual surround filter gets created by PulseAudio for 6 input
and 2 output channels and gets the input channel layout (5.1), output
channel layout (stereo), and playback sink and port as parameters.
2. Some audio plays through it.
3. The user unplugs headphones, so that the output now goes through
stereo speakers
4. Before sending the next chunk of audio, PulseAudio updates the
filter parameters related to the sink port (a), and/or calls the
set_port callback function (b).
5a. The filter notices the parameter change, processes the audio
anyway, and sets the self-disable parameter to true.
6a. PulseAudio reads the audio and the self-disable parameter, throws
away the processed audio and downmixes 5.1 to stereo by itself.
5b. set_port says "no" or updates the self-disable parameter,
PulseAudio notices and downmixes 5.1 to stereo by itself.

It would also be interesting to see what happens if unplugging the
headphones causes the number of channels (of the channel layout in
general) to change. Note that I don't have such setup, not even sure
how it is handled currently.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov