[pulseaudio-discuss] Libpulse question C++

Patricio Rossi meduzapat at netscape.net
Mon Sep 9 04:16:58 UTC 2019

I wrote a little piece of code, a plugin, to read the peaks from a
stream and send that information to a LED controller, using C++ and
libpulse, so far so good, it works like charm and my program run
perfectly (check a demo https://youtu.be/l4lzksatgVA)

The problem I having is that my program is actually a daemon, and If I
run it at boot as a service (as root), even when I drop the privileges,
the program have no output.

The program is a plugin, it loads on demand, is a single instance (one
read to satisfy everyone) and works fine if running as the user.

I really don't understand why this is happening, and I tried many things
with no luck, so here I am.

My idea is that the program just work, without having to change anything
on the pulseaudio side, maybe adding some setting here or there is OK, I
read people running it system wide to solve this, but that is not a good
idea and is overkill.

if you want to see the source code, here:
https://github.com/meduzapat/LEDSpicer/blob/development/src/animations/PulseAudio.cpp

Thank you and I will really appreciate any help and suggestions.