[pulseaudio-discuss] Ubuntu 18.04 no sound with tensorbook

Ravi Kumar rkumar.others at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:51:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 on my tensorbook. Sound works fine.

Then I go on to install nvidia-drivers (430.28 to be specific). nvidia-smi
is all good. But I loose sound.

I went through a number of steps in the ubuntu sound trouble shooting
procedure and other similar suggestions and was able to narrow it down to
the following:

I purge alsa & pulse and reboot

   - sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
   pulseaudio pavucontrol

Then just install alsa like so

   - sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

There is sound and I can control it using alsamixer.

Then I install pulse like so:

   - sudo apt-get install pulseaudio pavucontrol

No more sound.

the only way I get it back is to start with purge remove step above, reboot
and install just alsa and no pulseaudio.

Any pointers / suggestions on trouble shooting this issue?

Ravi