[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 13.0

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Sep 20 11:34:00 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 17:36 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Excellent Friday evening, all!
>
> I'm not an expert on this, but isn't the number 13 special in some way,
> and Friday the 13th as a date especially special? Didn't they have
> something to do with luck? They're the universal lucky number and day,
> right? If I remember that correctly, then this is a very special
> announcement for us superstitious people! Today is the day when
> PulseAudio 13.0 has became a thing that exists - may this release bring
> great luck to us all!
>
> This release brings the following changes:
>
>  * Added support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
>  * Improved initial card profile selection for ALSA cards
>  * Bluetooth card profile choices aren't persistent any more by default
>  * Added support for SteelSeries Arctis 5 USB headset
>  * New "max_latency_msec" module argument for module-loopback
>  * New "stream_name" module argument for module-rtp-send
>  * Fixed S/PDIF for CMEDIA USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio
>  * Use source sample spec and channel map by default in module-loopback
>  * New "avoid_resampling" module argument for module-udev-detect and
>    module-alsa-card
>  * "avoid_resampling" also tries to avoid format conversion if the
>    ALSA device supports it
>  * New function to enable realtime scheduling for client threads
>  * Removed BlueZ 4 support
>  * Dropped intltool
>  * Introduction of the Meson build system
>  * Const-ification of parameters across headers
>  * Minor bug-fixes, bindings updates and several translation updates
>
> The full release notes have further explanations:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/13.0/

It turned out that the release notes were not quite complete yet. I
have now added the missing stuff:

 * Improved 5.1 surround channel routing
 * Automatically switch away from unavailable card profiles
 * Removed KDE specific routing configuration
 * New information collection script for bug reports: pa-info
 * New "fast_adjust_threshold_msec" module argument for module-loopback
 * module-role-cork and module-role-ducking can now use recording
   streams as triggers
 * Added support for non-PCM formats in module-null-sink
 * More efficient channel remapping in some cases for 32-bit streams
 * Removed the "latency_time" option from module-null-source
 * New convenience functions for getting parameters from pa_format_info
 * New function for pa_threaded_mainloop to run a callback in the
   mainloop thread without the mainloop lock being held
 * New build option for improving build reproducibility

More elaborate explanations in the wiki, as always:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/13.0/

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk