[pulseaudio-discuss] Device fallback priority

Daniel windseeker at gmx.de
Sat Apr 11 20:29:20 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have 2 alsa devices in my system, card 0 is my Nvidia graphics card
for HDMI Audio output, card 1 is my internal onboard audio. I prefer
the HDMI Audio via my Nvidia card and setting this as default device
works just fine.

When I now add another audio device like via USB or Bluetooth, its
sink becomes default, and this is quite what I want, so this is fine.
But when I now disconnect this device again, the new default sink
always is my internal audio instead of the HDMI audio.

How can I get the system to fall back to my HDMI Audio after the
active sink gets unavailable? Can I set priorities manually in
default.pa or similar?

The modules module-default-device-restore, module-device-restore,
module-stream-restore and module-card-restore are loaded. If one of
these is supposed to do this job, does that need some manual
configuration? If yes, how?

I'm running Ubuntu 19.10 64-bit. I already deleted ~.config/pulse and
restarted pulseaudio to make sure there are no unwanted settings in my
pulse db files. The file .config/pulse/[id]-default-sink correctly
contains the HDMI sink in the format of the output below.

$ pactl info
Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 33
Server Protocol Version: 33
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 8
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: daniel
Host Name: windseeker
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 13.0
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo
Default Source: alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor
Cookie: b87b:c3cd

$ pactl list sinks short
1       alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
module-alsa-card.c      s16le 2ch 44100Hz       IDLE
4       alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo
module-alsa-card.c      s16le 2ch 44100Hz       IDLE

Thank you and best regards,
Daniel