[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth HSP and HFP support in pulseaudio

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Mon Apr 27 20:06:29 UTC 2020

On 27.04.20 21:45, Georg Chini wrote:
> On 27.04.20 01:44, Pali Rohár wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 March 2020 09:36:21 Georg Chini wrote:
>>> One comment here: The hsphfpd should be able to co-exist with
>>> ofono. ofono + PA currently is the only way you can use your mobile
>>> on Linux and we should not break this (unless the hsphfpd supplies
>>> the same functionality). So - similar to ofono - it should at least be
>>> possible to switch off the corresponding role, so that ofono can be
>>> used for one role and hsphfpd for the other.
>> If you can disable HFP support in ofono, then hsphfpd and ofono can
>> coexist in system.
>>
>> But coexistence of two HSP AG or HFP AG applications in system is
>> impossible due to master listening SCO socket.
>
> That is exactly my point. But you can have one application handle the
> AG role while the other handles the HS role. For ofono mainly the HS
> role is interesting, for PA mainly the AG role. Removing ofono completly
> makes mobiles unusable under linux. In ofono, you can switch off
> the AG role.

You would only need an option so that hsphfpd does not register the HS
role with bluetoothd and would need to keep the corresponding bits of the
ofono backend. That should not be much additional work and would not
break the current use cases of the PA/ofono combination.
Like ofono, without the option, hsphfpd would register both roles.