[pulseaudio-discuss] Question about Pulseaudio hardware abstraction

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Thu Apr 30 06:06:13 UTC 2020

On 29.04.20 10:57, Jim Kent wrote:

> I have a question about how Pulseaudio functions between sound
> hardware and applications in Linux and spins. I noticed both Firefox
> and Chromium internally report many hardware details, including the
> sound output chipset and connected Bluetooth devices (with unique
> identifiers).

I am not sure this information is taken from pulseaudio. If you do
"pactl list sinks", you can
see what is exposed to clients.

> I assumed that Pulseaudio behaved as an opaque interface between
> software and hardware, in other words, applications send and receive
> inputs and outputs to Pulseaudio, which in turn mixes and exclusively
> communicates with sound hardware. Instead, I have noticed many
> instances where browsers exhibit unintended control over sound
> outputs, for instance, playing a youtube video will sometimes abruptly
> disconnect a Bluetooth headset.

This sounds weird and I never heard about such a behavior. If the
browser is doing such things it is certainly
not through PA. A disconnect may happen if there are issues with the
bluetooth connectivity, but in that case
the problem should not be application related and is below the PA level.