[pulseaudio-discuss] container support

GMAIL temptempor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 13:40:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

This can be achieved fairly "simply" (as long as you know what to look for).

You need to pass the pulse socket into the container and tell pulse
clients inside the container its precise path.

So on Docker CLI, for a typical Pulse daemon running in userspace, it
would be something like:

*|-v /run/user/1000/pulse:/run/user/1000/pulse |*

Inside the container, once you've installed Pulseaudio, you need to
modify its client configuration:

_/etc/pulse/client.conf_

*default-server = /run/user/1000/pulse/native*

With this your Pulseaudio applications should be able to play sounds
through the host PulseAudio server (of course, you'd need to adapt the
runtime paths to your environment).

Bear in mind, there seems to be some inconsistencies in the way various
Pulse utilities interface with the daemon. In this setup for example,
"pacmd" won't work, whilst "pactl" works fine once the client
configuration is fixed.

You could test this in a manual way first and then automate things a bit
with a Dockerfile and what not.

Best regards.