[pulseaudio-discuss] Delayed muting of studio speakers

Chris Mayes cmayes at cmayes.com
Wed Dec 23 03:04:36 UTC 2020

Yeah, I've had fewer issues since I've adjusted the output level.  The
thread you cited seemed to indicate that it's a build quality issue, which
may be, but I don't think that the signal breaks up due to faulty internal
wiring.  I've had plenty of bad solders with audio equipment in my time, so
I'd definitely recognize that sort of noise.

In this case, the speakers more-or-less cleanly stop responding for both
drivers.  Once the signal reaches a certain threshold, the sound comes
back, again fairly cleanly.

I'm reminded of my Nashville recording studio tour with Ohio University's
chapter of the Audio Engineering Society ~1996: one of the engineers had a
pair of KRKs (they have distinctively yellow woofer cones) that he
demonstrated by blasting his latest studio session.  Maybe the manufacturer
assumes that the average user will crank the volume, so they don't normally
test the speakers at low signal levels?  I've managed to preserve my
hearing thus far, so I prefer to keep things quiet.

It's a weird problem, but no more than a minor annoyance.  They still
produce fantastically detailed sound, so it's hard to complain.

Thanks,

-Chris Mayes