[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth codec selection

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 11:42:00 UTC 2020

On Sunday 12 January 2020 09:23:52 Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> I meant "first the profile is chosen", not sub-profile.

Yes, first user chose profile and then sub-profile (= codec parameters).

> I think it would be better to have
> all codec options visible regardless of the currently active profile.
> Some profiles aren't meant to be manually chosen (a2dp_source,
> headset_audio_gateway)

Bluetooth may support both a2dp_sink and a2dp_source profiles. And it
may support different set of A2DP codecs on these profiles. (E.g. it can
encode LDAC, but cannot decode LDAC).

So we cannot make visible all options as some of them would not make
sense.

We can e.g. put all codecs into "sub-profile" select box, but codecs not
"compatible" with currently selected profile would be gray-out and user
would not be able to choose it. But he would see that PA support this
option in different configuration. Or add some other GUI where user
choose codec (=sub-profile) and then another select-box would find all
compatible profiles for this codec, so he could choose what he want.

But this is just designing UI for selecting sub-profile. It does not
involve any changes on pulseaudio server.

> and it's probably good to avoid unnecessary
> manual changes between a2dp_sink and headset_head_unit too, because
> that may confuse or make things more complicated for the automatic
> profile switching logic.

We cannot avoid it. Choosing codec is part of connection establishment.
So if user is not satisfied with currently used codec he should be able
to change it.

> Setting the codec preferences and choosing the
> active profile would be good to keep as separate actions.
>
> Are there differences in use cases for HFP and bidirectional A2DP? To

I guess you are asking for "bidirectional A2DP codec with activated
backchannel". As I saw, aptX-LL is often used without backchannel, so is
only one-directional.

And what are differences? HFP is synchronous with a low delay and
supports additional features, e.g. phone control, battery power status,
button press, vendor extensions, etc...

Bidirectional A2DP codec FastStream has better quality then HFP CVSD.
Some devices does not have to support HFP mSBC.

So user had to choose: Does it need better quality? Then choose A2DP.
Does it need to control phone calls? Then choose HFP with lower audio
quality.

I'm looking at it: You need to choose profile (HFP or A2DP) based on
what features you need. And then choose audio quality.

All bluetooth audio devices describes which bluetooth profiles (HFP,
A2DP, ...) they support and also what functionality they in their
profile they support. So user needs to know what is he using to not be
surprised that something does not work (just because PA decided to use
other bluetooth profile).

> me it seems that the use cases are the same, and the user should have
> the HFP and bidirectional A2DP codecs in one list (not necessarily in
> this order):
>
> * CVSD (hardware)
> * mSBC (software)
> * mSBC (hardware)
> * AuriStream
> * FastStream
> * aptX-LL
>
> So I'm not sure the new bidirectional A2DP profiles are needed, but
> maybe having them makes the implementation easier. I'd be ok with
> adding the new profiles, but making the primary codec configuration API
> separate and automatically switching the profile when the preferred
> bidirectional codec is changed.
>
> I noticed you listed "aptX-LL without backchannel" as a sub-profile.
> Isn't that the same as plain aptX?

No. Those are two different things. aptX-LL should have lower latency.
Encoded stream is same, but packed differently at lower bluetooth
layers (different buffer sizes and maybe on receiver side also some
optimizations).

> Would you be willing to document the codec negotiation process in the
> wiki?

What exactly?

> I can give you a wiki account. I believe you have already
> explained this before in emails, but I've forgotten the details. To me
> it would make sense if only the playback side (or the audio gateway for
> bidirectional modes) could decide the codec, but I recall the reality
> is more complicated, and there were multiple places where the chosen
> codec may be remembered.

Side which establishing connection choose codec. It does not have to be
playback side. And connection establishment is done by calling DBus
bluez function, independently of pulseaudio (in most cases desktop
bluetooth GUI application do that). So we cannot avoid it.

But there are many places which has own defaults. So establishing
connection would work without specifying codec and some remembered /
default value would be used.

> The negotiation details affect the constraints
> for UI design.

We can do this: When user choose profile, then PA issue command to
activate profile with some default codec. User would see in GUI what was
chosen and could change if is not happy with it. If he does not care
about it he would use default / remembered option and so does not have
to choose anything.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com