[pulseaudio-discuss] Custom codec with three channels

Matej Kupljen matej.kupljen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 17:48:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I have an custom embedded board with the i.MX6 SoC which has WM9712
AC97 codec connected to it. This codec supports 3 channels and has 3
DACs. Two 16 bit DACs for Left and Right channel and one 12 bit DAC
which can be configured to use one of the AC97 slots.
I have modified the codec driver and the SSI driver for the i.MX6 so I
can use all three channels.
I have selected to use AC97 slot 3 and 4 for Front Left and Front
Right channel and AC97 Slot 5 for this third channel.

If I use speaker-test utility with:
# speaker-test -t wav -c 3

I can hear the sound on all three channels as Front Left, Front Right
and Rear Left.

Now, I'd like to use pulseaudio server. However, I cannot get a sound
on the third (Rear Left) channel. If I run speaker-test I get the
sound on Front Left and Front right, but not on the third one.
If I run speaker-test with -D hw:0,0 parameter so it directly uses
ALSA driver, I can hear the sound on all three channels.

I tried adding this configuration options to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:
default-sample-format = s16le
default-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 3
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right,rear-left

Also tried loading alsa module with
module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0 channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left

But, I cannot get the sound on the third channel.

Any suggestions how to configure pulseaudio server for this custom set-up?
Is this even possible with my custom set-up?

Any suggestions/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks and BR,
Matej