[pulseaudio-discuss] High CPU Usage in System Mode

jtharkey jtharkey at protonmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:32:41 UTC 2020

Hello,

We have an embedded device that we're switching from straight ALSA over to PulseAudio. There are no users on the system other than root so we have pulse running in system mode. It works, but has unusually high CPU usage. The device has a 2.6GHz Dual Core CPU. At idle, pulse is using about 15-20% of the CPU. Every now and then it spikes up to 80-90% CPU usage. However, on our dev machines running on the same hardware and under XFCE with pulse in user mode, this doesn't happen. The idle usage is less than 1% and it can get up to 3-5% max.

This makes me think pulse is setup differently on our dev machines, but looking at the configuration files that doesn't seem to be the case. Could this have something to do with running in system mode? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks,
JT