[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth HSP and HFP support in pulseaudio

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Tue Mar 31 07:36:21 UTC 2020

On 17.03.20 13:06, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2020 18:19:47 Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 14:37 +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
>>> Hello! One month passed and I have not answer which solution would
>>> pulseaudio choose for HSP and HFP support. Could you please really look
>>> at my email about state of HSP / HFP support?

>>> Does really silence mean that option 5) was automatically chosen? I hope
>>> that not.
>>>
>>> If you have not had time to discuss, compare and choose solution, please
>>> write at least that you are not going to choose option 5).
>> I have not had time to discuss.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to try the hsphfpd approach, if you're motivated
>> to write and maintain that all by yourself (plus the integration code
>> in PulseAudio). With luck you'll find someone to help, but I'm not
>> aware of anyone who has time for that.
> As I said, I can develop integration code for pulseaudio too. And also I
> can maintain hsphfpd daemon.
>
> I will try to find a time and prepare integration part for pulseaudio.
>
>> Georg said that it doesn't make sense to implement this only for PA,
>> but if you get it to a working state, I don't see why PipeWire (and
>> maybe alsa-bluez) wouldn't use it too.
> Ok.
>
>> There's one other approach, however, that you seem to reject for a
>> reason that is not clear to me: if I understood correctly the
>> discussion with the oFono developers[1], they're open to implementing
>> everything hsphfpd does in oFono.
> There is a main rejection in design, that HSP and HFP cannot be in one
> service and therefore on ofono side it needs to be on two separated
> places, plus target audio application (pulseaudio) would need to
> implement two separate services and endpoints, one for HSP and one for
> HFP, even for audio part they are same.
>
> In my hsphfpd API, there is just one service for both HSP and HFP
> profiles and audio application needs to implement communication with
> just one service which provides audio socket (either from HSP or HFP).
>
>> They said they're not planning to add
>> the missing features, but they didn't say they would reject patches.
>> For comparison, I'm not really planning to add any features to
>> PulseAudio either (no time for that), but that doesn't mean I reject
>> features implemented by other people than me.
> Another thing against ofono: it is modem connection software. Why such
> software needs to be requirement for desktop system which do not have
> any cellular (or other) modem?
>
> Also more people prefer to use other modem connection software, e.g.
> ModemManager. Now if we add requirement that ofono is crucial part for
> bluetooth, then there would be another problem: How to use ModemManager
> on system with bluetooth headset? Either ModemManager would have to
> reimplement everything which is in ofono and audio software (pulseaudio)
> would need to support thats new API, or users would not be able to use
> [...]
One comment here: The hsphfpd should be able to co-exist with
ofono. ofono + PA currently is the only way you can use your mobile
on Linux and we should not break this (unless the hsphfpd supplies
the same functionality). So - similar to ofono - it should at least be
possible to switch off the corresponding role, so that ofono can be
used for one role and hsphfpd for the other.