[pulseaudio-discuss] Integration with snd-aloop

dev47apps dev47apps at gmail.com
Tue May 19 20:13:53 UTC 2020

Hello!

I've developed an app that uses the ALSA Loopback driver to create a
"virtual microphone" on the system.
The source of the data is mobile devices, with data streamed over the network.

Everything works, but it's been a little confusing trying to integrate
the virtual mic into pavucontrol.
So far the consensus is to use module-alsa-source with
device=hw:Loopback,X,Y, which causes a "Built-in Audio" to show up in
the sound mixer.
Usability of this seems to vary between distros, I'm using Lubuntu 19
and so far its refused to work.

* Does the order of operations matter? i.e. loading the Alsa source
module only after the app has opened the input end of the Loopback
card.
* Does the sampling rate matter, does it need to be specified
explicitly when loading the module?
* Are there other more appropriate modules we can use?

You can read more here
https://github.com/aramg/droidcam/issues/54

The main goal is to have it "just work", you open the app and whatever
other software you want and get a working microphone.
Any info or pointers welcome.

Thanks!