[pulseaudio-discuss] How to combine microphone audio and music from application to pipe to video conference

Samir Parikh spython01 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:49:54 UTC 2020

Ok, I'm back after researching and trying some things a bit more.

Sean Greenslade wrote on 5/16/20 1:23 AM:
 > This is definitely possible entirely within pulseaudio. I'll go over the
 > basic concepts here, then show an example.
 > Now you can begin playing music, and in the Playback tab of pavucontrol
 > move the music playback to the VirtualMixer.

I got this far in following your instructions but got stumped on that
last part about moving the music playback to the VirtualMixer.  This
screenshot shows my options for where to direct the Rhythmbox output:
https://imgur.com/a/PRCYV3B

If I select VirtualMixer, playback of the music continues but I can no
longer hear it.  Is there a way for me to also hear it through my own
speakers/headset?

 > Finally, begin recording / using your conferenece application. In the
 > Recording tab of pavucontrol, find the entry for the recording
 > application / conference application. Change its microphone to "Monitor
 > of Null Output", which is the virtual source that pulls from the
 > virt_mix sink. Verify that it is behaving the way you want.

I did this part as you described:
https://imgur.com/a/HXR5tdz

The great news is that when I launch Jitsi, the app picks up the music
stream.  I confirmed this by joining the video conference from another
device and the music comes through clearly, using the my laptop's
default microphone!
https://imgur.com/a/wbTvysv

 > Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Feel free to ask for clarification
 > if needed. I've set up a number of complex audio workflows in linux,
 > some of which took a lot of experimentation to get working well.

The only issue now is that Jitsi doesn't seem to be picking up my laptop
microphone -- it just picks up the music.  Did I do something wrong?  If
I can get Jitsi to pick up my microphone AND if I can somehow hear the
music myself, I think we've NAILED this!

Thanks in advance!
Samir