[pulseaudio-discuss] How to control the right and left channel for a specific application using CLI ?

01ivier at labomedia.org 01ivier at labomedia.org
Wed Nov 4 13:56:36 UTC 2020

Le 2020-11-04 01:17, Arun Raghavan a écrit :
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020, at 7:09 PM, 01ivier at labomedia.org wrote:

>> > You can use pactl to do this:
>> >
>> >   pactl set-sink-input <sink input index> <volume for channel 1>
>> > <volume for channel 2> ...
>> >
>> > You can look up the sink input index and channel map for channel order
>> > with:
>> >
>> >   pactl list sink-inputs
>> >
>> > -- Arun
>>
>> Hello Arun and thanks for the quick answer.
>>
>> It's exactly the command I was looking for.
>> Unfortunately, as I thought, it doesn't work in my case because my
>> output is in mono.
>> Here's what I get:
>> Failed to set volume: You tried to set volumes for 2 channels, whereas
>> channel(s) supported = 1
>>
>> I can't change the output of the software.
>> Is there possibly a way to create a virtual stereo output from the
>> mono
>
> Yup, check out module-remap-sink:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#module-remap-sink
>
> -- Arun

Thank you,

Your answer is good... I just asked the wrong question... Sorry...

What could help me, in my case, is to remap the mono sink-input (the
ouput of my application) into a stereo one, so that I could control the
volume of each channel with set-sink-input.
Maybe I missed something but module-remap-sink doesn't like to do it.

I tried to use module-remap-source but "Name or index of the master
source" seems to concern sink listed with "pacmd list-sinks" not "pactl
list sink-inputs".

Is there a solution to get a stereo sink-input from a mono one ?

Thank you.

°1ivier