[pulseaudio-discuss] Networking and volume control

Matt Feifarek matt.feifarek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:09:52 UTC 2020

Perhaps this might help: when you set the PULSE_SERVER env variable, all
the commands you run will be run against the Rpi, basically going around
the local machine configuration. That's why you're seeing different sink
configurations when you do pactl... it's effectively the same as you
logging into the pi, and running pactl there.

The second dump shows the pi in as a tunnel sink seen from your PC's PA
context, which is what you want.

I don't use pavucontrol, but I don't know of any reason why it can't
control a sink that is in actuality a remote/tunnel sink, and the fact that
the volumes are listed there in the second dump means I might be right.

Have you tried doing this on your workstation box?
pactl set-default-sink tunnel.dietpi-music.local.alsa_output.default

And then doing things will by default (but not exclusively) happen on the
sink on the pi. But you can still tell other apps to use other sinks. Be
careful that this is what you want, of course, because you probably don't
want your UI stuff to beep on the Pi. It might be better to just
specifically force the things you want (music player?) to the sink you want.

One thing to note is that once you have things pretty well setup, PA does
try and restore things as they last were... so if you manually set one app
to send to the tunnel, I think PA will try and preserve that as the app and
the sink come and go.

You can also write little script shims, if you follow me, that are little
3-4 line scripts to do things like volume and mute and stuff by setting the
server and running the command there. I should think that these could be
little GUI-aware shims, too, making .desktop files (or the equivalent), so
when you run one, it sets up the environment for you and connects to the
right sink.

For whatever it's worth, I too am using a rPi on a hifi system that is
remote from my work-a-day computer. I don't manage the volumes at all,
leaving that to the audio gear, but I have a somewhat complex setup that is
in two rooms with sync'd playback across several devices that has been
borne of years of trial and error with pactl. I'm using mpd, librespot,
shairport-sync, and have a Chromecast hooked up to one box to "stream" from
one soundcard as a source to another as a sink. And FWIW, I ignored the
advice and ran PA on the Pi in System mode. I don't know that the priority
stuff matters for something like usb audio, which shouldn't tax the system
very much. Anyway, if you want to ask me more about my setup, feel free
here or off-list.