[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 14.0

Felipe Sateler fsateler at debian.org
Thu Nov 26 20:56:09 UTC 2020

Hi!

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 3:55 PM Arun Raghavan <arun at arunraghavan.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Looks like we finally managed to get this one out, just shy of a year past
> the due date (admittedly there are some mitigating circumstances this year!)
>
> tarball:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/releases/pulseaudio-14.0.tar.xz
> sha256
> <https://www.freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/releases/pulseaudio-14.0.tar.xzsha256>:
> a834775d9382b055504e5ee7625dc50768daac29329531deb6597bf05e06c261

\o/

> There's a _lot_ that went into this release, so the highlights below
> really aren't complete, and you want to see the full release notes at
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/14.0/
>
>   * Rerouting streams when the default sink/source changes is now in the
> core
>   * Much improved UCM support, which is now used on newer Intel SOF (Sound
> Open Firmware) based devices
>   * Ports now expose their type and "availability group" for UIs to
> discover which ports are mapped to the the same physical jack (for "what
> did you plug in" UIs)
>   * New GStreamer-based RTP backend (off by default)

The release notes are confusing:

> The old RTP implementation is still available as a compile time option
(--disable-gstreamer with Autotools or -Dgstreamer=disabled with Meson),
but the GStreamer implementation is used by default. The GStreamer
implementation should be considered experimental for this release

1. This contradicts the above quote.
2. If it's experimental, why is it enabled by default?

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler