[pulseaudio-discuss] Networking and volume control

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 19:44:23 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 5:16 AM Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 17:28 -0500, Matt Garman wrote:
> > I have PulseAudio set up on a Raspberry Pi as a sound server.  The RPi
> > is connected to a USB DAC, which has hardware volume control
> > (...)
> > The volumes shown in vlc and pavucontrol start out the same.  And if I
> > raise the volume in vlc, the slider in pavucontrol makes a
> > corresponding change (as expected).
> >
> > However, if I *lower* the volume in vlc, the volume in pavucontrol
> > stays the same.
>
> Which volume? The stream volume (Playback tab) or the device volume
> (Output Devices tab)? I would expect the stream volume to be always in
> sync, but if you have flat volumes enabled (which you probably do,
> judging from your description), then increasing the vlc volume will
> increase the device volume if necesssary, but lowering the vlc volume
> will not affect the device volume in pavucontrol.

In pavucontrol, in my original email, I was referring to the device
volume (Output Devices tab).  At the time, I didn't even think to
check the stream volume.

Since posting, I did discover the flat volume config option, and have
disabled it.  (I didn't check the pavucontrol stream volume sync with
vlc when flat volume was still enabled.)

At any rate - now that flat volume is disabled, the behavior is much
more intuitive (at least to me!).

Thank you!
Matt