[pulseaudio-discuss] How to create a virtual microphone with source set as default monitor device?

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Tue Sep 29 04:42:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 06:29:05AM -0700, guest271314 wrote:
> > Point Espeak's output to the "Feed Espeak" sink, and point your
> recording application at the "ESpeak output virtual mic".
>
> What is meant by "point" here? How to do that?

It depends on the application. Most applications that use the pulse APIs
will offer some sort of selection box or drop-down for this. Otherwise
you may need to use pavucontrol / pacmd / your own app that interacts
with the pulse API.

> Were you able to successfully carry out the procedure yourself?

Yes, everything I listed in my previous email was tested on my Arch
setup.

> What would be ideal is to be able to control pavucontrol -t 2 GTK or
> Qt page from HTML.
>
> Where in pavucontrol source code is Recording tab implemented?

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pavucontrol/-/blob/master/src/mainwindow.cc

--Sean