[pulseaudio-discuss] USB-connected headsets: no sound

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Wed Feb 3 00:28:27 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 08:08:06AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I have an issue and hope someone here can help me resolve it. Short version:
> USB-connected headsets have no audible output.
>
> Long version: I run Slackware-14.2/x86_64 with pulseaudio-9.0-x86_64-1 on a
> desktop workstation using an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard.
>
> I have three headsets and external speakers on this desktop. The speakers
> and the Yamaha CM500 headset are analog and connect via the audio green and
> red phone sockets; the Logitech H570e and Mpow HC headsets are digital (at
> least they connect via a USB port).
>
> Audio from any source is heard from the analog speakers and the Yamaha
> headphones. No sound is heard from any source using the digital headphones.
>
> pavucontrol recognizes the digital headsets and both microphones work when
> selected as input devices; the vu meter fluctuates as I speak. But no sound
> is heard from any source. With the Logitech connected to a USB3.x port on
> the desktop's case pavucontrol's output devices tab sees 'Logitech H5703
> Stereo Analog Stereo and the port is Headphones. In the configuration tab
> the profile choices for the Logitech are: Analog Stereo Duplex (the
> default), Analog Stereo Output, Analog Stereo Input, and Off.
>
> With the Mpow headset connected pavucontrol configuration has its profile as
> Analog Stereo Output + Analog Mono Input. The output devices tab uses the
> only available port: Analog Output.
>
> How can I identify the source of this problem and fix it?

By default, new sound devices don't take over existing streams. In
pavucontrol under the playback tab, there should be a dropdown menu for
each client listing which card it is currently sending audio to. Try
starting a sound playback and switching its dropdown to the USB device.

Under the "output devices" tab, there is a checkmark button next to the
sound devices. This lets you specify which device is the default. It
won't force existing streams over to it, however, and it won't prevent
some clients from remembering their previous soundcard, so you may still
need to manually move some clients over to the new soundcard.

--Sean