[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual audio cable - high cpu usage

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Sun Feb 7 06:41:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 10:12:18AM +0100, Renaud GHIA wrote:
> Our application is pulseaudio only.
> So in this case I suppose that Jack must be interconnected with pulseaudio.
> Do you think that even interconnected, I wouldn't have cpu usage problems ?

There will almost certainly be a resampling stage if you pipe audio
between JACK and Pulseaudio.

> Concerning  the remap module, without remap the virtual device is not
> visible by our application...

It's common for applications to ignore monitor sources when presenting a
list of sources to pick from, however if your application allows for a
device name to be specified directly, you can select the monitor source
that way.

Alternatively, you can redirect an existing source output to a different
source programmatically by using "pactl move-source-output", or by using
a grapical utility like pavucontrol.

--Sean