[pulseaudio-discuss] USB-connected headsets: no sound

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 7 14:30:18 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021, Sean Greenslade wrote:

> Under the "Output Devices" tab, some of the outputs may have a "Port"
> dropdown selector. ... The "Logitach H5703 Stereo Analog Stereo" device is
> the important one, and it should be left on its default port selection of
> "Headphones." Also verify that the device is not muted, and that the
> volume slider is at a reasonable position.

Sean,

Yes, it has the port of Headphones, is unmulted, and has the volume slider
at 100%

> Under the "Playback" tab, there will be a list of programs currently
> playing sound.

Audacious is running and a song is playing.

> Now, next to the title of each application, there is an unlabeled dropdown
> box that shows which sound device the application is currently playing to.
> Find the actively-playing application and switch its dropdown to the
> "Logitach H5703 Stereo Analog Stereo" option.

Well! The last time I lookat at the 'Playback' tab I missed your point that
the dropdown box being unmarked meant there wasn't the usual triangle common
to comboboxes. I didn't click on it becuase the symbol wasn't there. Just
now I did and, sure enough, there was another option there: the Logitech
headphones.

I'm so used to GUI widgets being self-explanatory that I didn't try clicking
on what appeared to be a label widget. I apologize for not groking what you
wrote.

Now, while there is sound delivered to the headset it comes from only one
side. I have the channels locked (the vu meter has two bars, one for Front
Left the other for Front Right. I'm assuming that's a hardware defect.

Thanks very much for your patient help.

Best regards,

Rich