[pulseaudio-discuss] How manage volume remotely on pulseaudio

Christian Schmitz list at schweb.com.ar
Tue Jan 19 18:05:01 UTC 2021

Hi everyone:

I am in the office with my computer ( Linux tumbleweed), and my kid of 3 years
old is in another computer showing videos from youtube. Both computer have a
normal user sound configuration ( each computer playing their own sound).

Some videos are quieter and another are very loudness. With my first kid (10
years back) i do:
1)SSH as root
2)amixer and upper or lower the volume.

Now i cant find a way to do this with pulseaudio. If i do
1)I do ssh as root successfully
2)
2.1) # amixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection
refused

2.2) # alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Conexión
negada (Connection refused in spanish)

2.3) if i do sudo to the same linux user that is showing the video:

user at computer> amixer
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/0) is not owned by us (uid 1001), but by uid 0!
(This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a
root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection
refused

How i can control the sound volume of my kid from my computer?

Thanks all
Christian Schmitz

--
Be Free, Be Linux