[pulseaudio-discuss] DBus interface and source priority

Christian Bianchi whites11 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:30:40 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I am working on a golang software that aims at dealing (muting and
unmuting) with the currently enabled microphone in a Linux system using
pulseaudio.

My software is trying to use the DBUs interface to interact with pulseaudio.

If the computer has more than one microphone connected to it, I need to
find the enabled one by looking at the priority property of my sources.

For example this is a trimmed output from the pacmd list-sources command:

4 source(s) available.
    index: 0
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo.monitor>
        priority: 1030
    index: 1
        name: <alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo>
        priority: 9039
    index: 2
        name: <combined.monitor>
        priority: 1000
  * index: 4
        name: <alsa_input.usb-046d_0825_6C7C2E60-02.mono-fallback>
        priority: 9040

In fact, in my system, the source with index 4 is the active one.

My problem: I can't find a way to get the priority property out of the DBUs
interface.

According to the documentation (
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Developer/Clients/DBus/),
neither the Source nor the Device Objects expose a property named Priority.
The only objects having a Priority field are DevicePort and CardProfile. I
got the value for those properties but their value doesn't match with the
output of pacmd.

Can anybody please help me understand what I am missing here?

Thanks

(also posted on stackoverflow here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66744027/how-to-get-pulseaudios-device-priority-via-dbus
)