[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth sink interfering with system - sink suspended

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Wed Nov 24 00:08:09 UTC 2021

Greetings,

I added a bluetooth speaker as a PA sink, but when I try to set the system
to use the internal soundcard (Built-in Audio Analog Stereo), under the
Output tab in Sound Preferences, I encounter trouble.

$ mpv foo.mp3
[ffmpeg/demuxer] mp3: Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be
inaccurate
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (mp3 2ch 44100Hz)
 [ao/pulse] The stream is suspended. Bailing out.
 AO: [alsa] 44100Hz stereo 2ch float
 A: 00:00:00 / 00:27:38 (0%)

Looking further:

$ systemctl --user status pulseaudio
Nov 23 17:06:54 zinnia pulseaudio[779]: Failed to create sink input: sink
is suspended.

I've tried:

$ pactl suspend-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo false

but that doesn't seem to help.

I've also rebooted the computer and it still seems to be in a funky state
where I can't use the built-in sound card with PA.

Any suggestions on how to get my built-in card to work again?

Any suggestions or hints on how to get a bluetooth speaker to play nicely
with the system?

Thanks for the help!

-m