[pulseaudio-discuss] Using pulseaudio (bluetooth) from a systemd service

Federico Milano fmilano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 22:45:51 UTC 2021

Hi, I'm trying to access a bluetooth speaker from a systemd service in a
headless system. I have tried 3 possible configurations:

1. If I run the client of PA as a systemd service with my personal user
account, then PA does not autospawn; to be able to spawn PA I have to login
through ssh and explicitly connect to the bluetooth device. As soon as I
exit, the bluetooth disconnects.
2. If I run PA as a user service with systemd, it works as long as I'm
interactively logged on into the system (I don't have to explicitly connect
to the bluetooth device, PA just starts and connects when I log in). As
soon as I close my terminal session, bluetooth gets disconnected.
3. If I run PA as a system wide service, then I cannot connect to
bluetooth: PA server rejects the client connection. The pulse user is in
the bluetooth, audio and pulse-access groups; I have also added the root
user there too and also my personal user, but I still cannot connect to the
bluetooth device.

What is the best way to keep the bluetooth connection to the speaker alive,
when the client of this connection runs as a systemd service?

Kind regards,

Federico