[pulseaudio-discuss] need to run `pulseaudio -k` to record from null sink

Gareth Walker walkergareth474 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 07:45:57 UTC 2021

Hello,

I want to be able to capture both the microphone and the system sounds at
the same time. To help me do that I have put the following commands in
~/.config/pulse/default.pa which create a null sink:

.include /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=MySink
sink_properties=device.description=Mic_and_system_sounds
load-module module-loopback
source=alsa_input.usb-0c76_USB_PnP_Audio_Device-00.mono-fallback sink=MySink
load-module module-loopback
source=alsa_output.pci-0000_0a_00.3.analog-stereo.monitor sink=MySink

When I first log in I can't record the monitor of Mic_and_system_sounds:
but I can once I've run `pulseaudio -k`. Before I run that command, I can
see Mic_and_system_sounds listed in the output devices in pavucontrol and
nothing in the recording tab; once I've run `pulseaudio -k` I can also see
the loopback to Mic_and_system_sounds from the microphone and from the
soundcard in the recording tab of pavucontrol, and I can record the monitor
of Mic_and_system_sounds.

Is there a way around having to run `pulseaudio -k` each time I log in in
order to be able to record the monitor of Mic_and_system_sounds? I hoped
that by putting the commands in ~/.config/pulse/default.pa I would be able
to do that right away on logging in. I am on Ubuntu 20.04.

Many thanks,

Gareth