[pulseaudio-discuss] Error running from procmail

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Tue Feb 15 08:25:40 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 09:31:21AM +0100, Adrian van Bloois wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 11:39:13PM -0800, Sean Greenslade wrote:

> > > Both, one machine is running headless the other I keep logged in on a
> > > text-based console.
> >
> > OK, so there are two separate machines? Is the machine that is going to
> > be producing the sound the one that always has the console logged in?
> Yes, correct
> >
> > Also, are you trying to do any sort of networked pulseaudio setup? Like:
> >
> > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Network/
> >
> No, this machiine is fully stand-allone.

> > > Both are installed

> > > Is running, it has my own userid, probably caused by my listening to a
> > > radio station earlier.
> >
> > OK, so presumably this means that your machine has pulseaudio set up
> > correctly. Perhaps your issue is that the morse program is not running
> > as your logged-in user, so it cannot connect to your session's pulse
> > socket?
> I'll look in to that. The morse program is started by procmail which is
> able to write with my own userid.

A few other things that jump to mind:

CentOS has selinux enabled by default. Perhaps check for any selinux
denials, since the context will likely be different between a user shell
and the procmail process.

Does procmail either run in a chroot or run subprocesses in one? If so,
you'll need to make sure that the pulse socket path is accessible. It's
typically in /run/user/<PID>/pulse/native.

--Sean