[Fwd: Re: [forum] Migrating away from the XFree86 project]

Fri Apr 9 02:41:39 EST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [forum] Migrating away from the XFree86 project
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:05:54 +0100
From: John Bradford <john at grabjohn.com>
To: Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>
CC: forum at XFree86.Org
<40757034.8080701 at sun.com>

Quote from Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>:
> John Bradford wrote:
> >>The new X11R6.7.0 release that was issued just hours ago by X.Org is a much more
> >>usable replacement, having updated the XFree86-based components to XFree86 4.4RC2,
> >>and is already in the current Fedora beta and is being considered by some other
> >>distros.
> >

> > It's not on ftp.x.org yet - is it only available via CVS or something?
>
> I don't know why it's not been put there, but you can download it via the
> "Download: Latest Release" link on http://www.x.org/

Oh, OK, they've updated the site since I saw it last - you used to have to
register or something to obtain the source, (and I only have a simple web
browser currently installed on this machine).

I'm dissapointed that the distribution includes code licensed under the
GLX Public License and the CID Font Code Public License.

Do you know if it is actually possible to build X11R6.7.0 without using any
of the code placed under these licenses?

Also, is there a non-web based way to subscribe to X.org-related mailing lists?

Unfortunately, working with anything web-based is difficult without a working
X installation...

Thanks for your input on this, by the way.

John.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com