Feature freeze

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Mon Aug 2 07:33:13 PDT 2004

We are in the feature freeze now.  Thank you to everyone for getting
your code in on time!  Special thanks to Eric Anholt and Stuart Kreitman
as they were on the critical path and put in many extra hours to get the
critical code in on schedule!

I will send a separate e-mail to the xorg at fdo list after our release
wranglers call today.

On a related topic, there are a few items that were discussed before the
feature freeze, but were on the border between feature and bug fix.  I
would like to discuss them on today's release wranglers call.  They are:

- New traps for Render -- I talked about this code with Keith on Friday
  and Keith mentioned that he would like to get the optimization
  completed before checking in the new code.  I said that while I would
  like to get the code into the tree before the feature freeze, I would
  not be opposed to letting it in afterwards since it crosses the line
  between bug and feature.  Eric Anholt was going to get this merged in
  but he was on the critical path for getting Composite checked in, and
  I asked him to concentrate on that task first.  Unless any one has
  objections, I would like to say the tree is open to merging the
  updated Render code, which contains the new trapezoids as well as
  other bug fixes.

- XAA Render hooks -- There is code currently in the tree for handling
  Render through XAA; however it has some problems, which Eric Anholt
  can elaborate on.  The code currently causes significant 3D rendering
  problems on Radeons and needs to be fixed for this release.  Eric
  Anholt has a patch that he is testing at:
      http://www.freedesktop.org/~anholt/xorg-renderhooks-2.diff
  which adds two new calls to XAA hooks that are meant to be used
  instead of the older SetupForCPUToScreen{AlphaTexture,Texture} calls.
  This code still needs additional review before being included.

- Package config -- Adding *.pc files to the libraries so that external
  autotooled packages can get the appropriate CFLAGS, include paths,
  other library dependencies, etc.  Daniel Stone was working on this
  before the deadline and I asked that we discuss this on the release
  wranglers call before he checked it into the tree.