Flash/Mozilla/Composite bug details?

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Aug 13 14:01:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 01:50:29PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 16 o'clock on Aug 13, Kevin E Martin wrote:
>
> > Keith, could you also put this comment into bug 991 (and the other
> > comments about what the Xlib changes involve) so that we can point other
> > people to it? Thanks!
>
> I'm just thinking now -- given that I have a rather more detailed
> understanding of where the problem lies, I can construct a significantly
> less-invasive fix for the problem.  By modifying the routine that Flash
> uses to select its visual to avoid the ARGB visuals, I've fixed the Flash
> problem without impacting other applications.  So, a user could just set
> an environment variable globally and avoid the problem nicely.
>
> Is this a nicer fix?  What should I call the environment variable?

Interesting.  I haven't seen this fix or the other (more-invasive) fix,
so I don't really know how to evaluate them.  But generally speaking,
while it's nice to limit the changes, my only concern is that there
might be other ways "broken" programs could crash.  Not sure if a 100%
solution is possible, but I'm curious how close we can get by treating
specific cases.