Minutes from August 30 Release Wranglers call

Paul Anderson pma at anderson.fc.hp.com
Mon Aug 30 13:08:35 PDT 2004

All,

The minutes from today's Release Wrangler's call.

Attendees
---------
Paul Anderson
Stuart Kreitman
Kevin Martin
Egbert Eich
Alan Coopersmith
Keith Packard
Leon Shiman
Dan McNichol

Release status
--------------
People are continuing to fix bugs.  Things are slowly coming
together.  We're getting more testing.  There have been a few
reports from people who are testing RC3.  Kevin feels things
are in fairly good shape.  Pending some other issues, we are
very close to a release.  Fairly soon, the low-weight blockers
will be changed to "known issues" in the release notes.
Egbert noted that he has found a bug with colors and DRI on
some platforms, but he needs to investigate this further.

Bug status
----------
Reminder: #351 is the bug for the release

 #999: Release notes for X11R6.8
       There are two issues: (1) Pulling together the information and
       (2) building the documentation files.  Kevin is getting some
       warnings when building the SGML.  Keith and Egbert aren't having
       problems generating the documentation during the build process.
       As for content, it is coming along.  Soeren has gone through
       the CHANGELOG and pulled as much as he could out of there.

#1029:
       Egbert did the final cleanup on Friday and did what Alexander
       Gottwald suggested, so people should not be stopped from
       testing/using this.  Egbert would like people to test this
       and provide feedback.  If he doesn't hear anything by tomorrow,
       he will assume it is OK.

#1099: Placeholder for all bugs held open for this release, but not blocking
       Kevin has not seen any new items opened against this.

#1109: ATI Rage Mobility on Dell Inspiron 7500 fails to display anything
       It sounds like the card isn't getting initialized properly.  It is
       unlikely this will get fixed for the release, so it should get added
       to the release notes.  If a patch were available, it would be
       accepted, but nobody has that particular configuration to do any
       troubleshooting.  Kevin asked if this should be moved from #351 to
       #1099, and there were no objections.

#1168: Damage crashes with rootless layer
       Windows in a "regular" server always have a valid pixmap, but
       that is not necessarily so in the rootless Xserver.  The changes
       that have been thought of thus far are considered too scary to
       make this close to a release.

#1182: Xim deadlocks in certain situations
       Egbert would still like to get an additional comment on his
       proposed patch.  Several people have looked at the code and found
       that the input method code isn't thread safe as the XFilterEvent()
       function will lock the display, and then subsequent functions
       lock the display.

There are still several other blockers that need discussion.  At this
point, Kevin doesn't feel we can release tomorrow, since the remaining
issues to resolve will not be finished today.  If we did not release
tomorrow, we would likely have to delay the release a week, because
Kevin may have to travel.

Given the pending vote with the Architecture Board (see minutes
on xorg_arch when they are available), the release will not happen
on Tuesday.  The release will be delayed until the decision on
Xaw/Xp is made by the Architecture Board and the resulting decision
has received adequate testing.  This will cause the release to be
delayed beyond August 31.

Next meeting