Minutes from July 16 Release Wranglers call

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Jul 16 16:51:42 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:56:01AM +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Torrey Lyons wrote:
> > 2. Adding XDarwin server side support for many of the new extensions
> > contemplated for this release will not be trivial. The release
> > schedule is very aggressive since there is not yet a clear consensus
> > on exactly what is going into it.
>
> Yeah, that's why I do not want "Composite" in the next release. Many
> platform maintainers will have trouble with it and there is simply not
> enougth time nor are there much example clients which can be used for
> testing.
> And NOONE really explained how "Composite" will coexist with existing
> X11 stuff - "SHAPE" extension, multiple planes, Sun's overlay extension,
> non-TrueColor visuals come in mind withour searching it... and when I
> search it there may be more questions... ;-/

That is why the Composite extension is slated to be "experimental" and
will be disabled by default.  It should not affect other platforms that
do not support it.  There is strong sentiment to get it into a release,
but I'm open to other possibilities.  If the provisoes (stated in my
earlier e-mail) are not strong enough, perhaps you could provide your
counter arguments here and those who are most motivated to have it
included could rebut.

Kevin