Minutes from July 16 Release Wranglers call

Torrey Lyons torrey at mrcla.com
Mon Jul 19 11:05:09 PDT 2004

At 10:25 PM -0700 7/16/04, Keith Packard wrote:
>Around 13 o'clock on Jul 16, Torrey Lyons wrote:
>  > 2. Adding XDarwin server side support for many of the new extensions
>>  contemplated for this release will not be trivial. The release
>>  schedule is very aggressive since there is not yet a clear consensus
>>  on exactly what is going into it.
>
>XFixes and Damage should have little to no effect on any X server; they
>both work entirely at the DIX level.  Nothing in either of these
>extensions is novel or even really new.

That is good to know.

>Composite is not really interesting in the XDarwin environment in any case;
>the main utility aside from eye-candy is to provide support for screen
>magnifiers which need to have persistant window contents for occluded
>windows, which XDarwin already provides.
>
>Note that Composite support in the X server must be driven by the DDX
>itself, so a DDX which cannot support it will not enable it.

I see. For compatibility with future clients that require Composite,
we eventually will want to provide Composite with XDarwin DDX using
Mac OS X's built in backing buffers.

>  > 3. Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/) will
>>  ship with an updated version of Apple's X11. Apple is going to be
>>  faced with the question of what release they should base Tiger's
>>  version of X11 on. The next X.Org release might be timely if it is a
>>  solid release on Mac OS X.
>
>Is there someone at Apple we should ask about this?

Yes, I've had discussions with them about what the best way to go is
for their next release. There is a related technical issue that their
last release did not actually use the XDarwin DDX, but instead used a
customized version of it (hw/apple). Apple does not want to continue
to maintain their own DDX in the long run. I've been working hard on
making hw/darwin a feature complete replacement for hw/apple. We
still need to determine to what extent they can switch over to using
hw/darwin for Tiger. The closer Apple's X11 is to standard XDarwin,
the later they can afford to wait for an open source project's
release before beginning to package for Tiger.

--Torrey