Status updates for feature freeze

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Jul 31 02:44:47 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:31:44AM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:48:47PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> > 7. Extension enabling/disabling: Kevin Martin will finish this code as
> >    discussed on today's release wranglers' call, and check it into the
> >    tree tonight.
>
> Update: this code has now been checked in.

The configuration part of the extension enabling/disabling has now been
checked in, which completes this task (until we revisit run-time config
after this release).

Here is a brief summary of how to use the extension enabling/disabling
feature:

1. Command-line options

   Two new command-line options were added:

       +extension EXTENSION-NAME-1
       -extension EXTENSION-NAME-2

   which enables(+) or disables(-) an extension.  Note that the name of
   the extension to be enabled/disabled is the same one that is listed
   by xdpyinfo, and it is case sensitive.

2. Configuration file (e.g., xorg.conf)

   A new section named "Extensions" was added to the configuration file:

       Section "Extensions"
           Option "EXTENSION-NAME-1" "Enable"
           Option "EXTENSION-NAME-2" "Disable"
       EndSection

   Each Option line lists one extension and a value (either "enable" or
   "disable").  The value is not case sensitive, but the name of the
   extension is (just as with the command-line options).

Note that XEVIE and Composite are disabled by default, so you will need
to use one of the mechanisms above to enable them for testing.  To do
this, you can either add the following to your command-line:

       +extension XEVIE +extension Composite

or you could add the following to your xorg.conf configuration file:

       Section "Extensions"
           Option "XEVIE"     "Enable"
           Option "Composite" "Enable"
       EndSection