X.Org Foundation - Release Call - 3rd May 2004

Howard Greenwell howard at hgsg.net
Tue May 4 01:43:57 EST 2004

All,

The minutes of today's call.

Attendees:

Paul Anderson
Alan Coopersmith
Jim Gettys
Howard Greenwell
Kaleb Keithley
Stuart Kreitman
Leon Shiman
Daniel Stone

Minutes:

1. Developer Conference Post Mortem

Jim asked what we could have done better last week.
Most thought good - keep the numbers down - perhaps have more corridor
time. Need to encourage more discussion.
Dynamic was very good.

2. Time to do a merge of DRI/Mesa?

Jim reported Mesa 6 has been released. Think we need to pick this up. Want
to get modularization to a point where this can be picked up without any
integration.

Jim will to find out if things are ready to be implemented or not, and
report back to the group.

3. Contents of next release/schedule.

Alan Hourihane has been updating the XFree86 tree? Jim asked if anyone
knows the status.
Tungsten Graphics contracts require people to integrate their work on the
XFree86 tree.
Need to investigate changes that have been made.

Stuart wants to see a release in a short time. Like to see small increments.
Stuart wants to see his 4 enhancements included.

    XEVIE
    XFIXES
    DAMAGE
    COMPOSITE

Deron has suggested the implementation of a wrapper scheme. Deron waiting
on Stuart for direction. Discussion not conclusive.

Stuart complained about CVS issues integrating XEVIE. Asked if anything can
be done.

Keith has promised to put the AUTOGEN pieces into the monolithic tree to
"have a parallel environment for a while".
Jim and Daniel both complain about CVS, and would like to see another
alternative.

Leon suggested setting date for review to finalize contents. Agreed to
review on 1st June.

Stuart under pressure from Accessibility people to get at least first 3 of
his enhancements into a release soon.
Group agreed that we would like to aim at 20th Anniversary on week of
14th-18th June.
No objection to have an interim release without modularization.

Stuart feels current suggestions are not colliding with other's interests.
Feels he is getting support from the group. Call agreed.
Need to get agreement of Egbert and Keith on the plan, but not seen as an
issue.

Howard suggested a press release for the anniversary to say the new release
is coming. Could also mention the elections.

Stuart looking to get help of Keith to finish integration - Jim agreed.

Jim asked what we should be calling this release? Not sure that is should
be called 6.8. Needs some thought.

4. AOB.

Daniel trying to come to OLS in Ottawa for 21-24th July. Leon asked if
could meet in Boston, or also come to Linux World in early August.

Howard.