X.Org Foundation - Release Call - 3rd May 2004

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed May 12 07:51:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:44:38PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>  > From one half of the 'complainers', this would be a step backwards.
>  > Subversion is really CVS dressed up with a nicer method of branching,
>  > proper copies, et al, and has its own reliability/scalability issues,
>  > not to mention the not-infrequent protocol/on-disk format changes.
>  >
>  > I was personally gunning for Arch. Full disconnected operation, proper
>  > changesets and GnuPG signing of them, crazy branching and crazier
>  > merging (in a good way). It's really the only SCM system that scales,
>  > and it's fantastic for people working on completely unrelated things in
>  > branches, or people working offline, or whatever.
>
> CVS is a tool that is widely deployed. It is well known and people know
> how to work with it. It is know to be stable (more or less). I don't
> say it is perfect - and some features are definitely missing.
>
> If we are going to replace it we make the burdeon on people who want
> to get involved even higher.
> On the one hand you want to get rid of Imake with the argument that
> it is not widely know yet you suggest to exchange the revision control
> system with something that is not well known.

I agree - I am not suggesting arch at this point. Saying 'CVS sucks, but
I do like arch' isn't saying 'let's more to arch': in fact, I actively
advocated *against* moving to arch.

The problem is that very few people know it; a shift to arch would
require significant education - not only of our own developers, but also
of the community at large. It would also require a CVS mirror-type
service to be provided anyway.

> Furthermore any proposed revision control system must be compatible
> across versions. This must be guaranteed before we can even start
> considering it. This is essential in a distributed development
> environment.

arch guarantees this.

Remember, just because CVS sucks, doesn't mean we need to move to arch
nownownow.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org