X.Org Foundation - Release Call - 3rd May 2004

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Wed May 12 08:57:54 PDT 2004

Leon Shiman asked me to post this message here on his behalf
as his posting has bounced.
I'll try to figure out why.

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:34:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Leon Shiman <leon at magic.shiman.com>
Subject: Re: X.Org Foundation - Release Call - 3rd May 2004
To: release-wranglers at freedesktop.org

Content-MD5: Bg2AC6J0YcjuHVVH0NLv4w==

on Wed, 12 May 2004 15:44:38 +0200 Egbert Eich wrote:
>To: People working on X software releases >
>Daniel Stone writes:
> > From one half of the 'complainers', this would be a step backwards.
> > Subversion is really CVS dressed up with a nicer method of branching,
> > proper copies, et al, and has its own reliability/scalability issues,
> > not to mention the not-infrequent protocol/on-disk format changes.
> >
> > I was personally gunning for Arch. Full disconnected operation, proper
> > changesets and GnuPG signing of them, crazy branching and crazier
> > merging (in a good way). It's really the only SCM system that scales,
> > and it's fantastic for people working on completely unrelated things in
> > branches, or people working offline, or whatever.
> >

>CVS is a tool that is widely deployed. It is well known and people know
>how to work with it. It is know to be stable (more or less). I don't
>say it is perfect - and some features are definitely missing.

This is important. If we wish to provide a stable standard, then it is
important to recognize other de facto standards as well. that does not
however mean we do not innovate and promote change. That is part of the
strength and promise of FDT. We have the option of facilitating change by
supporting the development of alternative tools.

We need both. But this means of course increasing the number of active
participants...

I share Egbert's concerns and Daniel's desire for a technically better
solution. but without recognizing common practices and knowledge, we risk
marginalizing our acceptance. We can choose to share the burden of changing
specific common practices and knowledge.

Leon