Which "tar" should be used to pack the X11R6.8.0 source tarballs ?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Nov 10 21:52:26 PST 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 22:45, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Which "tar" version was used to pack the X11R6.8.0 tarballs ? I am just
> asking because there are several incompatibilities between the various
> versions of "tar" (many of them caused by GNU tar which has extensions
> none of the other tar versions understand... ;-( ) and I'd like to avoid
> the h*ll in which Mozilla.org resides in (their "tar.gz" tar archives
> (created with GNU tar) can only properly be unpacked using "pax" or
> "star" on non-GNU platforms).

I would think that an inability to process POSIX tar archives would be
properly considered a bug in the platform's tar(1).  That said, GNU tar's
underdocumented [1] --format option allows you to produce tar files in about
five different formats, V7 probably being the most portable (and in fact
being the default for projects managed by autotools).

- ajax

[1] - Underdocumented as in it's in the info pages but not the man page.