Minutes from X.Org Architecture Call for 30 August 2004

Paul Anderson pma at anderson.fc.hp.com
Wed Sep 1 13:01:51 PDT 2004

All,

I wanted to announce the results of the recent vote conducted
by the Architecture Board regarding the libXaw/libXp issue.
Since the issue has already been discussed at length on the
lists, I won't repeat the entire matter here.  If you would
like more context on this, please consult the list archives
for xorg_arch at x.org and/or release-wranglers at freedesktop.org.

The options that were presented for this vote were:

(1) Ship the X11R6.7 version of libXaw in X11R6.8 and plan to come up
    with an architecture that will allow Roland to do what he needs
    to do in Xaw without requiring a dependence on libXp.
(2) Split functionality into a separate shared library.  This is
    not preferable to Roland.
(3) Bump major version of libXaw
(4) Ship Roland's completed work on libXaw, noting that it will depend
    on libXp.

The votes that I received are as follows:

Keith Packard:      Option (1):  Ship X11R6.7 version of libXaw in X11R6.8
                                 and work on an architecture that is more
                                 supportable.
Egbert Eich:        Option (3):  Major version number bump
Leon Shiman:        Option (3):  Major version number bump
Jim McQuillan:      Option (3):  Major version number bump
Stuart Kreitman:    Option (3):  Major version number bump
Alan Coopersmith:   Option (3):  Major version number bump
Jim Gettys:         No vote received

This means that option #3 - bump the major version of libXaw -
received the most votes.

Best regards,

-paul