Release wranglers call today (Wednesday) -- 6.8 postpartum discussion

Torrey Lyons torrey at mrcla.com
Wed Sep 29 19:46:51 UTC 2004

Unfortunately I was not able to attend the phone call because this
was of particular interest to me. In any case, Kevin's notes did a
good job of summarizing the chronology and issues. The main thing
that stood out while reading it and while living through it was that
the compressed schedule was mentioned more than 10 times. It was a
factor in almost every problem that was encountered.

When I heard the original schedule in mid-July I thought it was
wildly optimistic. It is a testament to the hard work and talents of
the people involved that it slipped in quality and time as little as
it did.

At 12:08 AM -0400 9/29/04, Kevin E Martin wrote:
>The release was determined to be a
>time based release since it was driven by several companies (most
>notably Red Hat and SUSE) that needed to have a newer X Window System
>release for their upcoming products.

In my opinion the decision to schedule the release as tightly as it
was based on this driver was seriously flawed. This decision loomed
over the entire release cycle and had many negative consequences. I
do not object to the schedules of external interests influencing
X.org release schedules. However, in this case commercial interests
dictated a completely unreasonable schedule, which affected the
quality of the X.org release on every platform. I am perhaps more
free to criticize because I am not biting the hand that feeds me.

Ideally, what would come out of this would be a consensus on what is
a reasonable schedule for a release cycle. Any requests for releases
should then be required to fit within this framework. As an example,
I would propose that any contemplated release should be publicly
announced (on this list for example) at least three months before the
release date with at least a 6 week period before the feature freeze.

Had the BoD announced a tentative late-August release back in
late-May when discussions began, I believe the situation would have
been far different. Since most of the members were not party to the
discussions, I don't know if the late August release was an 11th hour
request or if it was always roughly intended and just not
communicated. In either case, the take home message is that
developers need to be informed of the release schedule early enough
in the release cycle so that they can adjust their activities
appropriately.

--Torrey