Checking the X11R6.8.2 release notes / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: XORG-6_8-branch)]

Tue Feb 8 12:44:16 PST 2005

Since you asked for people to pick nits in the docs - I don't see
any major problems, and don't think we have to fix all of these,
but if you're going to update the docs again, some should be
fairly quick fixes:

- In the RELNOTES section 2 it lists a bunch of features as new
in 6.8.2, but they really came in at 6.8.0 - wouldn't it make
more sense to split out the 6.8.2 changes into a separate
section and then leave the stuff carried forward from 6.8.0 as
"new features in 6.8.0"?

- RELNOTEs section 3.3, Input Drivers - should kbd's description as
  "(alternate)" be changed to something else now that it's default
  on some platforms?

Perhaps:
    |kbd         | generic keyboards (loadable module) | kbd(4)              |
    |keyboard    | generic keyboards (builtin driver)  | keyboard(4)         |

and a pointer to the section 5.1 covering the transition plan?

- RELNOTES, Section 4.10 - missed a 6.7.x to 6.8.x update

- RELNOTES, Section 4.11.1, paragraph 3: Shouldn't the fonts.conf
   references point to the fonts.conf/fontconfig man pages now,
   not Xft(3)?

- RELNOTES, Section 4.14 - "X11R6.8.2.x" should either be .2 or .x,
   not both.

- RELNOTES, Section 4.21 - extra > after COPYRIGHT.Vera.

- RELNOTES, Section 6 - Credits:

    - 6.8.2 list - we pulled in Mark Vojkovich's nv driver fixes,
      but he's not listed - should he be since his work is in there,
      or not because he didn't contribute to us, and we just pulled
      them on our own?

    - previous releases list - there's a few missing commas between
      names, such as in these lines:
         Gennari, Jim Gettys, Alexander Gottwald, Ralf Habacker Mike Har-
         ris, Mattheiu Herrb Alan Hourihane, Harold L Hunt II, Elliot Lee,
      (I'm pretty sure Mattheiu Herrb & Alan Hourihane are not the same
       person.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com