Call Monday 24 Jan 2005

Torrey Lyons torrey@mrcla.com
Tue Jan 25 17:44:36 PST 2005

At 7:35 PM -0500 1/25/05, Adam Jackson wrote:
>  > And what about the old behaiour to build everything for
>>  developers that they can do testing ?
>
>As a developer, I want the world to build as little as possible, because at
>any given moment I care only about the one piece I'm working on.  If I really
>want to build everything in the world:
>
>cd ${xapps}
>for i in */
>do
>  pushd $i
>  make
>  sudo make install
>  popd
>done
>
>It's _trivial_.

You have some good arguments, but this is disingenuous. There are
dependencies between the parts of xc which are not trivial. Recursing
"make;sudo make install" through all parts of xlibs, xapps, etc. will
not account for these dependencies. As far as I can tell these
dependencies are only embodied in the Imakefiles.

I have asked for this before, but we need a (real) solution to this
problem: I have a clean system with nothing from X.Org installed on
it and I want to do a fresh checkout, build, and install. Before I
did:

cvs checkout xc; cd xc; make World; sudo make install install.man

That is truly trivial. What is the equivalent prescription in the
modular tree to replace this?

I understand that 3rd party Linux distributions have their own
distribution specific packaging solutions and for them the answer to
my question is not very interesting. However, I don't think that
X.Org can or should abdicate to distributors the responsibility for
easily building the entire system.

--Torrey